Bluebirds/Missing eggs in my blue bird box

My bluebird box had 3 eggs when the parents started sitting on them.  I left alone and waited the 14 days. Took a peek tonight thinking they might have hatched. I was surprised to find just one egg in the nest and it was partially damaged. What happened?

In situations like this is is always difficult to know. A snake usually eats all of them when it gets into a box. This is probably the work of the killer house sparrows, or it also could be a House Wren, especially if your box is near some brush. If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you an expert and will tell you about the house sparrows, etc. Especially see page 19 as to why you should have more than one box. Good luck. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.