Bluebirds/bluebird chick left in nest

I have a bluebird nest box from which 3 of 5 chicks fledged this am..there is one live chick and one dead still in the box.  I have seen the parents back a couple of times, still feeding it.  Should I remove the dead chick & how long will the parents keep feeding the last one in the box?

Always remove dead birds as soon as you see that they are dead. It is not an unusual situation for some of them to die. Regarding the one left, it may have been a late hatch and usually the parents will keep feeding it until it fledges. If not there may be a health problem and Mother Nature may not want it to join the gene poool. Let nature take its course. Also if you don't have my free Bluebird book please send your mailing address to me at Good luck, Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.