Bluebirds/Sparrows in Bluebird House

Question
I've requested your book and I've also read the Q&A's here.  Thank you so much for the information.  

I just moved to a new house and have a bluebird house that a male and female bluebirds moved into.  They had 2 broods of 3 each.  I didn't open the house to check on them because I thought it might cause a problem with the family.  I believe the 2nd brood was just beginning to turn blue.  Suddenly, the bluebirds were gone and sparrows have moved in.  I know you addressed this in your answers but I was wondering if I clean out the house, if the bluebirds would return this late in the season?  I am in VA and it should stay warm for another 3 months.

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Gayle. Yes. Always clean out the house when the Bluebird babies leave and after a predator attack or house sparrows showing up. Just scrape the box out well with a putty knife. The book has info and contacts for tha killer house sparrow traps. That is the only way to protect your Bluebirds. Also once a Bluebird nest is built you should open the box once a week to chack on progress and for problems. 12 to 14 days to hatch after the female starts incubating and about 19 days to fledge (leave the box) after hatching. Do not open the box after the babies are 12 days old. And once they leave get the nest out - they never go back. Good luck! Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebirds

Bluebird Bob Walshaw