Bluebirds/Sparrows in Bluebird House

I've requested your book and I've also read the Q&A's here.  Thank you so much for the information.  

I just moved to a new house and have a bluebird house that a male and female bluebirds moved into.  They had 2 broods of 3 each.  I didn't open the house to check on them because I thought it might cause a problem with the family.  I believe the 2nd brood was just beginning to turn blue.  Suddenly, the bluebirds were gone and sparrows have moved in.  I know you addressed this in your answers but I was wondering if I clean out the house, if the bluebirds would return this late in the season?  I am in VA and it should stay warm for another 3 months.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Gayle. Yes. Always clean out the house when the Bluebird babies leave and after a predator attack or house sparrows showing up. Just scrape the box out well with a putty knife. The book has info and contacts for tha killer house sparrow traps. That is the only way to protect your Bluebirds. Also once a Bluebird nest is built you should open the box once a week to chack on progress and for problems. 12 to 14 days to hatch after the female starts incubating and about 19 days to fledge (leave the box) after hatching. Do not open the box after the babies are 12 days old. And once they leave get the nest out - they never go back. Good luck! Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.