Bluebirds/Baby bluebirds with no parents

I have a bluebird house that 2 bluebirds have layed eggs and have hatched them. I have not seen either parent in 2 days.One of taahe babies just hatched last night or today. I am very upset. I did dig up some small earthworms and found a fly that I just killed and fed it to them and they ate them readily.The only thing I don't understand is there was no sign of the eggshell from the newly hatched bird. What should I do?

Hi Nadia. At this early stage if the parents are really missing there is not much that you can do. It is not unusual for them to disappear as they have many predators. However with the missing eggshell they may still be around as the adults always dispose of the shells to reduce evidence for predators. It is illegal to try to raise baby birds without a permit. If they were nearly grown I could refer you to rehabilitators, BUT DO NOT FEED THEM EARTHWORMS. These are full of soil, and Robins can handle them but Bluebirds can't. Please do not feel bad if they do not survive. One pair can raise as many as 15 or more young in a season and if they all survived we would be up to our hips in Bluebirds and they would be running out of food.

Let me know what happens by communiating with me at my email address, Also if you will send your mailing address to me I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you an expert. Good luck! Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.