Bluebirds/No bluebirds

I live in Southern Indiana near the Ohio River.  For many years I have had several bluebird boxes and they were always filled.  This year the chickadees used them and I haven't seen any bluebirds.

Do you know if this is a widespread phenomenon?
What happened to the bluebirds?

This is not unusual when we have had bad winters like the past. And usually the Chickadees will have their one quick family and the Bluebirds will move in after. I have reports from your area of the Bluebirds arriving later than usual. Even in mild winters this happens sometomes here. Be patient. Good luck. And if you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you an expert. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.  

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.