Bluebirds/eggs

Question
Hi Bluebird Bob,

Last week there were 4 eggs in the bluebird nest, i saw the Mom, i thought she was beginning to sit on the nest 2 days ago, I went out today to check the nest and there is only 1 egg?  Do you think something got the other eggs and she is starting over, or do you think they got 3 and left one?  She wasn't sitting on the nest when I went out to look, do you think she may have abandoned it?
thank you for your opinion,
Sandy

Answer
Hi Sandy. This happens. Many other birds steal eggs, especially the House Wrens and the killer house sparrows. And usually when this happens the nest will be abandoned and they will nest somewhere slse. This is why we recommend that you have more than one box, as you will often lose some. If you don't have room I can give you some ideas on this. They have to be 100 yards apart as they are very territorial. If you will send your mailing address to me at walshaw1@cox.net I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you an expert. Happy birding. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebirds

Bluebird Bob Walshaw