Hi Bluebird Bob,

Last week there were 4 eggs in the bluebird nest, i saw the Mom, i thought she was beginning to sit on the nest 2 days ago, I went out today to check the nest and there is only 1 egg?  Do you think something got the other eggs and she is starting over, or do you think they got 3 and left one?  She wasn't sitting on the nest when I went out to look, do you think she may have abandoned it?
thank you for your opinion,

Hi Sandy. This happens. Many other birds steal eggs, especially the House Wrens and the killer house sparrows. And usually when this happens the nest will be abandoned and they will nest somewhere slse. This is why we recommend that you have more than one box, as you will often lose some. If you don't have room I can give you some ideas on this. They have to be 100 yards apart as they are very territorial. If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you an expert. Happy birding. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.