Bluebirds/bluebird came to house and is full-chickadees

This evening a bluebird peeked into my bluebird house and found it was inhabited with a family of chickadees.  He stayed on the roof for a long time.  I was wondering if I could place another house next to the chickadee filled bluebird house?  Is the bluebird just curious?  I destroyed the starling nests this season because they destroyed a family of bluebirds two years ago. I am so happy that I have seen a bluebird, but there is no house for it to call its own.  What can I do?

Chickadees are great birds too. I deliberately place some boxes where I know that they will be as I love to see as many as 7 or 8 little ones looking up at me when I open boxes for weekly checks. They have only one family a year and are gone in 15 days or so and the Bluebirds usually move in after when you scrape out the nest with a putty knife. This is why we recommend having at least 3 or 4 boxes not only for this reason but because you will usually lose some to predators. They should be at least 100 yards apart as they are very territorial. If you have a small yard put one box in back and one box in front of your home so they can't see each other. Also use neighbor's property or along the road to your home, even if it is high speed. Cars stir up and knock down insects and there fewer predators. Most of my line ids along highways.

If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you an expert. Happy birding. PS - Do not put a box next to the box with the Chickadee nest box.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.