Bluebirds/Bluebirds

Question
I have a bluebird's nesting box in my back yard. This year I saw a bluebird going in and out of the box. When she was in the box I know she was sitting on some eggs because I could see that she was very high up in the box and her face was looking at me through the entry hole in the box.   I notice she hasn't come around for almost a month and I looked in the box and there was 2 blue eggs. Did she abandon the eggs?

Answer
That sometimes happens if a predator gets the female. They have a lot of predators. When you work with Bluebirds and other small cavity nesters you should open the box weekly to know what is going on. That was a bad situation with her sitting up high which probably means that she built on top of other old nests. The nest should be deep in the box so Blue Jays, starlings, etc. can't reach into the box to get the young. Also it is best to have several boxes as you will usually lose some. Boxes should be 100 yards apart, and if you have a small yard contact me at walshaw1@cox.net and I will tell you how to work around this. Also please send me your mailing address and I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you anexpert. Good luck! Bob Walshaw.

Bluebirds

Bluebird Bob Walshaw