I have a bluebird's nesting box in my back yard. This year I saw a bluebird going in and out of the box. When she was in the box I know she was sitting on some eggs because I could see that she was very high up in the box and her face was looking at me through the entry hole in the box.   I notice she hasn't come around for almost a month and I looked in the box and there was 2 blue eggs. Did she abandon the eggs?

That sometimes happens if a predator gets the female. They have a lot of predators. When you work with Bluebirds and other small cavity nesters you should open the box weekly to know what is going on. That was a bad situation with her sitting up high which probably means that she built on top of other old nests. The nest should be deep in the box so Blue Jays, starlings, etc. can't reach into the box to get the young. Also it is best to have several boxes as you will usually lose some. Boxes should be 100 yards apart, and if you have a small yard contact me at and I will tell you how to work around this. Also please send me your mailing address and I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you anexpert. Good luck! Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.