Bluebirds/blue bird tragedy

hello bob, we had a set of blue birds who had hatched babies, but the mother died at some point, the father had brought back a new mother for the birds and build another nest while he was taking care of the babies alone, and now there is a new mother killing the baby birds when the male flies away. what should we do to stop this?

It may sound hard but in situations like this it is best to let nature have its way. There are often reasons that we do not know. Mother Nature is not always a kind mother. Also something to keep in mind - one pair can raise as many as 15 or more young in a season and if they all survived we would be up to our hips in Bluebirds and they would be running out of food. Only the strong survive to keep the species strong. If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book. More than 3400 copies are out and it will make you experts. Good luck. Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.