Boat Repair/Johnson 2005 115HP oil in cylinders

Question
QUESTION: Hi Everett

Hello from Australia

I have a Johnson 2005 115HP VRO motor. My problem is oil is fouling the plugs when the motor is left standing. I might not use the boat for a month and I have to remove the plugs and de-oil them and drain the fuel/oil out of the carbs before it will start. It also blows black gunky oil and huge amounts of blue smoke out of the exhaust when it starts.

Once started the motor runs well [for a 2 stroke] and perfectly on the water.

I have done the round of "experts" here and none of them can give me an answer - the Johnson Dealer told me to get rid of the VRO system and put oil in the fuel tank.

Are you able to shed some light on the problem please.

Cheers

Dennis

ANSWER: your vro pump is bad....it is leaking oil in to the pulse line at the block..

QUESTION: Hi Everett

May I have more information please so that I can explain it to the dealer.

Could you explain how this would fill the carbs with oil

Would that cause the carbs to be full of oil after standing - why doesn't the oil drain back into the engine rather than into the carbs

Would a repair kit fix the issue or is the pump itself the cause of the problem.

Cheers

Dennis

Answer
The VRO pump has gone bad... That is a fuel and oil pump..it has two chambers in it one for oil and one for gas..  the orings on the oil plunger have gone bad....with the engine sitting the carbs will fill with oil.
I believe there is a kit for it but I would replace the assembly..

Boat Repair

Everett Peacock