Boat Repair/Power trim hose on bravo 1 454 mercruiser I O

Question
This summer my engine over heated and cause a lot of damage. Once out of the shop I noticed my power trim would not stay up. Later I found out that the hose melted because it was leaning against the exhaust manifold when the engine over heated.  My question is I have asked everyone and they all say you CAN NOT SPLICE A TRIM LINE  well i did and it is holding so far?   My engine requires  to be removed to install a new $70.00 hose which the marina said would cost way to much money so I should just live with it.  I used a brass barb tapered on both ends with two stainless screw clamps on each side.   Will this really hold? If not is there better clamps I could buy?

thanks,John

Answer
Yes the engine has to be pulled to replace that hose..don't know of any other way to splice it together...the reason they say you can't is watch your trim oil it may still leak a little.. that hose has 1200 psi that is why.....sounds like you spliced it just keep an eye on it and level...

Boat Repair

Everett Peacock