Boat Repair/3.0 Alpha One w/ Mercruiser

I have a 2001 3.0 Alpha one w/ mercruiser outdrive. I recently started it up in the driveway with the ears on before a boat outing. As i was getting things ready to go, I just happened to feel the water coming from the pee hole, and it was very hot. I immediately jumped up to look at the temp gauge and it read between 160 and 170 which I'm pretty sure is what it always runs at. It was idling in the driveway the whole time. I just want to know is it normal for the pee hole water to be hot like this?? I don't want to mess something up.

The normal temp is 165 so it will be hot to the touch...  but if the waterpump in the stern drive has not been replaced then it needs to be done...  should be changed every 2 to 3 years ....
Keep an eye on the temp gauge because it is just a matter of time on the pump... they dry rot and crack....

Boat Repair

Everett Peacock

Marine repair questions

35 years experience

Taught Marine electronics at NOVA CC IN ALEXANDRIA VA

certified, Yamaha outboards,yamaha stern drives, Mercury outboard, Mercruiser, Evinrude. Johnson, Mariner, suzuki, Volvo Penta, Honda,

service exelence award ( yamaha)