Boat Repair/replacing power trim

I need to replace the power trim on my 77 johnson 115.I would like a little "step by step" on the right way to do this job.I have allready been told im going to have to remove the engine from the boat.

ok good luck.... ok take off engine ,pull steering tube and cable. remove the nut that holds steering cable nut.. with motor hanging, remove the three bolts that holds the trim motor to the housing ,  be careful, the small three bolts that holds the trim motor in an going to have a torch and heat the bolts so you don't break any bolts .. if you break any off the the trim unit assembly will need to be removed an well   ,,

What is wrong with the trim ??   Why are you going to repair/replace ...

are you referring to the hydraulics or assembly ,  where the check valves are ??

Boat Repair

Everett Peacock

Marine repair questions

35 years experience

Taught Marine electronics at NOVA CC IN ALEXANDRIA VA

certified, Yamaha outboards,yamaha stern drives, Mercury outboard, Mercruiser, Evinrude. Johnson, Mariner, suzuki, Volvo Penta, Honda,

service exelence award ( yamaha)