Bodybuilding/Iranian Houses of Strength

Question
Hi there Harry
What can you tell me about Iranian Houses of Strength? Are these about bodybuilding?
Are there other cultures which have a  form of indigenous bodybuilding either now or in history different to the western form we know today?

Answer
There is an article about them on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zurkhaneh which seems to suggest it is a mindset as opposed to an actual training regime. It is possible to suggest that the Spartans (who were in existence at the same time) had a smiliar mindset (believing that only the physically strongest of a population should be allowed to breed) but as the Spartans and the Persians were always at each other's necks it is difficult to make a fair comparsion between the two populations.

Bodybuilding

Harry Hayfield