Book Collecting/Rare Atlas

Through my Grandfather's inheritance, I received a "Historical Atas of Elgin County, Ontario Illustrated" H & R Page & Co Toronto 1877
There is some warping to the front cover, and unfortunately my Grandfather taped newspapr clippings, postcards, that were of interest to him, inside, however, none of the literature is covered by these, and the binding is in mint condition.
Is there any value to this little bit of history/

Thank you for any information that you have

Hi Lisa,

Yes this is quite valuable, if all the maps are present and in good clean state with no tears or marking. It is large format I believe about 440mm x 350mm.

It should have 28 + 60 pages of text, plus the maps.

I tracked down a copy being offered by a Toronto bookseller, with some wear to the binding, at $1,500.00.  This is full retail, so it would be possibly about a third to half that figure if you were to sell it, depending on how intrusive the clippings &c are.  There was a facsimile reprint also published in 1976.

A nice inheritance.

Hope this helps, and please do rate me if you get a chance.

best wishes

Book Collecting

Tony Fothergill

With over 30 years of experience I can assist with questions on most subjects relating to book collecting, and antiquarian books. I specialise in books on the arts, literature, gardening, architecture, travels to Italy and France, as well as manuscripts and documents.

I have been a leading rare book dealer for over 30 years. I am a member of the main Book Trade Associations, ABA, ILAB, and PBFA. A council member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association, and in 2014 Chairman of the International London Rare Book Fair, held at Olympia. My shop was established in 1948.

Antiquarian Booksellers Assocation - International League of Antiquarian Booksellers - Provincial Booksellers Fairs Association - Ephemera Society - Booksellers Associations

B.A. English Literature

For over 30 years I have dealt with leading international institutions and private collectors worldwide.