Book Collecting/Charles Dickens "The Old Curiosity Shop"

The Old Curiosity Shop
The Old Curiosity Shop  
I have a hard cover (red) book by Charles Dickens titled: The Old
Curiosity Shop published by: W. L. Allison Company in New York
but cannot locate a date anywhere in it. After doing some research on this book I am assuming that it would have been published some-
where between 1869, (when William L. Allison began publishing) and
1890, (when the Allison plates were purchased by the Lovell's). Am I correct in assuming this and is there any way to find out what the
actual publishing date was?

Dear Lorie,

Thank you very much for your query.  I have found records of other Dickens titles published by Allison which are all dated c1890-1893.  The British Library have one, but date their's later at c1914, but I think that may be incorrect.

I hope this helps

best wishes

Book Collecting

Tony Fothergill

With over 30 years of experience I can assist with questions on most subjects relating to book collecting, and antiquarian books. I specialise in books on the arts, literature, gardening, architecture, travels to Italy and France, as well as manuscripts and documents.

I have been a leading rare book dealer for over 30 years. I am a member of the main Book Trade Associations, ABA, ILAB, and PBFA. A council member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association, and in 2014 Chairman of the International London Rare Book Fair, held at Olympia. My shop was established in 1948.

Antiquarian Booksellers Assocation - International League of Antiquarian Booksellers - Provincial Booksellers Fairs Association - Ephemera Society - Booksellers Associations

B.A. English Literature

For over 30 years I have dealt with leading international institutions and private collectors worldwide.