Book Collecting/Signed edition

Hi, I have a book that is "The History of the Baptists" by Thomas Armitage that has his signiture on his picture in good condition except that the binding is coming off. I am curious to know how much it is worth?  I also have a book entitled "The Story of the Greeks that has a copywrite date of 1808 by Guerber Is the book worth anything?

Dear Linda,

The Baptists is quite a common book, and a very nice copy could be bought for around $80 max. In this condition it has little commercial value.  I think the signature is printed as part of the plate rather than handwritten.

The Greeks is also rather common, and of no real commercial value.

I hope this helps.

Book Collecting

Tony Fothergill

With over 30 years of experience I can assist with questions on most subjects relating to book collecting, and antiquarian books. I specialise in books on the arts, literature, gardening, architecture, travels to Italy and France, as well as manuscripts and documents.

I have been a leading rare book dealer for over 30 years. I am a member of the main Book Trade Associations, ABA, ILAB, and PBFA. A council member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association, and in 2014 Chairman of the International London Rare Book Fair, held at Olympia. My shop was established in 1948.

Antiquarian Booksellers Assocation - International League of Antiquarian Booksellers - Provincial Booksellers Fairs Association - Ephemera Society - Booksellers Associations

B.A. English Literature

For over 30 years I have dealt with leading international institutions and private collectors worldwide.