Book Collecting/The Catcher in the Rye edition

Hello Tony

I recently found a copy of J.D Salinger's The Catcher in The Rye. It was hidden behind an attic hatch in my home. It has a copyright of 1945,1946,1951 by J.D.Salinger. At the bottom of the same page it says Printed and Bound in Canada. T.H. Best Printing Co. Limited Toronto. I believe it is then a first edition but has no dust jacket. I was wondering if you think it is worth any value?

Dear Michael,

The 'Best Printing' edition is I think the first Book Club edition, in Canada. There are various states of the dust-wrapper, so hard to determine exactly which issue you have.  A fine copy with dust-wrapper may cost around $300 or so, but most of the value is in the wrapper I'm afraid.

Like this, it would not command anything like that figure.

best wishes

Book Collecting

Tony Fothergill

With over 30 years of experience I can assist with questions on most subjects relating to book collecting, and antiquarian books. I specialise in books on the arts, literature, gardening, architecture, travels to Italy and France, as well as manuscripts and documents.

I have been a leading rare book dealer for over 30 years. I am a member of the main Book Trade Associations, ABA, ILAB, and PBFA. A council member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association, and in 2014 Chairman of the International London Rare Book Fair, held at Olympia. My shop was established in 1948.

Antiquarian Booksellers Assocation - International League of Antiquarian Booksellers - Provincial Booksellers Fairs Association - Ephemera Society - Booksellers Associations

B.A. English Literature

For over 30 years I have dealt with leading international institutions and private collectors worldwide.