Book Collecting/The Catcher in the Rye edition

Question
Hello Tony

I recently found a copy of J.D Salinger's The Catcher in The Rye. It was hidden behind an attic hatch in my home. It has a copyright of 1945,1946,1951 by J.D.Salinger. At the bottom of the same page it says Printed and Bound in Canada. T.H. Best Printing Co. Limited Toronto. I believe it is then a first edition but has no dust jacket. I was wondering if you think it is worth any value?

Mike

Answer
Dear Michael,

The 'Best Printing' edition is I think the first Book Club edition, in Canada. There are various states of the dust-wrapper, so hard to determine exactly which issue you have.  A fine copy with dust-wrapper may cost around $300 or so, but most of the value is in the wrapper I'm afraid.

Like this, it would not command anything like that figure.

best wishes

Tony

Book Collecting

Tony Fothergill