Bowling/Bowling term: Track Zone

When I'm looking at oil pattern lubrication and see the term "track zone" what does that mean?  Where it is exactly on the lane, if we talk about feet and board numbers?

Hello Yacov, First off, feet and board numbers are general terms here. This area is not specific. It varies from pattern to pattern. Consider the following information in the context of an area from the 20 board to the 1 board. This is for a left or a right handed bowler.

When conditioner is applied, it is applied on the outside area of the lane. The recommended width of the outside zone of the lane is approximately 7 boards wide. This is the 1 board through the 7th board normally...

The zone "between" the outside of the lane and the center of the lane is
called the track zone. This would generally be the 8th board throught the 12th board, however this is not always the case in every bowling center or lane pattern.

The initial width of the track zone should be at least three boards but not more than 5 boards.

The track zone is a dynamic zone in that it changes as a result of bowling. The more bowling – the wider the track zone becomes and the more the track zone conditioner is depleted.

The track zone is the zone of the lane that sees the heaviest volume of play. More balls
travel through this zone that any other zone of the lane.

The width of the center zone of the lane is approximately 7 boards
wide. This would include the area from the 20 board to the 13 board. Again, this is not always the case in every bowling center or lane pattern. However it is simple to understand.

All bowling lane conditioner patterns have an “outside” and a “center” to the
pattern. Again the track zone is an area 3 to 5 boards between them.

Thank for your question Yacov!!!!

-Coach Gary Oatis
Las Vegas, NV. USA  

Gary L. Oatis, PBA Coach and USBC Silver Level Coach, PBA Member, Pro Shop Staff Member

I am the author of True Bowler Adjustments bowling book. I can answer bowling adjustments questions dealing with the body, the ball, the lanes and using your eyes to read the ball reaction. I can also answer "most" drilling questions about bowling balls. I will generally answer your questions within 2 days. I am truly a "software guy" who loves the human or people part of coaching. Any questions concerning ball drilling, we want to direct to the "hardware guy," the true expert regarding ball fitting! Ball fitting is what I consider to be your first priority in bowling! Thanks in advance Warren!!! It will always be about teamwork with me! A very special "thanks in advance" for any help with drilling questions I may receive! If your question is about "How to bowl better? physically and mentally," I am here for you. Anything else will most likely be sent to the question pool for consideration by other members. I recently began my first year of ball drilling(6/1/2010). Thank you. :-)

20 years in bowling as a coach and player. Annually I coach over 250 bowlers. Author: True Bowler Adjustments Bowling Book Facebook Testimonies: Facebook contacts 5000+!/TrueBowler

PBA Member USBC Coaches Association Member USBC/PBA Media Member Bowling Writers Association of America Member

True Bowler Adjustments bowling book,Author - Copywrite 12/2008 Radio shows - "Let's Go Bowling" and "The 13th Frame Radio Show" / Jan 2010 feature article in The National Bowling Association (TNBA) Magazine pg.29, writer Dustin Markowitz - March 25, 2012-What Happened to Bowling#16 Los Angeles Senate (TNBA Online Newsletter, "Ask Coach Oatis") 1500 members Questions Answered - 300 Responses.

Gary L. Oatis,MSgt,USAF(Ret.) Associates of Science in Radiological Technology (we x-ray the cores of bowling balls as practice phantoms sometimes!) PBA Coach and USBC Silver Certified Coach Journeyman, Pro Shop Staff Member, Nadeau-Haynes Bowling Supply, Las Vegas, NV.

299's, 297's, 290's, 288, no 300's or 800's "yet!"

Charles Nibert - USBC Senior Masters Champion and Alaskian State Champion Randy Stiedl also of Alaska recently shot 800! Numberous PBA Regional Bowlers who compete across the US. Zach Hattori $64,000 scholarship winner from Las Vegas, NV. Shawn Crossley, $10,000 Amateur Bowling Tour Winner 05/2011. Haley Rubin of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, won $7,500 in scholarship funds at the prestigious North Pointe Competition helded in Las Vegas, 2010. Lareece Chambers first female to bowl a perfect game in her bowling center, Victorville, California. Most enjoyable, are my local Las Vegas bowlers. Many have won their 1st ABT or JBT tournaments with my help. I am grateful to every bowler who puts their trust in me. Helping them apply bowling knowledge to reach their goals is truly the best fun I have ever experienced in my lifetime.