Bowling/grip feel = desired release

Question
Hello Gary,
I just wanted to know if getting the desired feel in the grip layout equals getting your desired release.  I love to have the ball sit in my palm with the contacts of both fingers and thumb flush with the pads.  With this grip I have a good feel during the swing but struggle getting my hand out of the ball from the back to slightly around during the release point (I do not like to be in the pre set release position on the down swing into the release).  It feels as though my thumb is initially moving into the thumb hole as opposed to having the thumb slip out of the thumb hole.  The center fleshy part of the base of the thumb also feels as though it drags.  The grip layout that works now with my release puts the contact of the thumb slightly on the inside front of the thumb. This is ok as I do not have much of a callous aside from a little friction on both sides of the thumb and a little light callous at the very base of the thumb. The ball sits slightly more on the middle to slightly towards the middle and index finger.  So am I chasing something that is not fundamentally sound to the grip/release or do I just need to tweak the pitches more?  My PAP is 4.5 x 0.  Thanks you Gary.

Answer
www.TrueBowlerAdjustments.com
www.TrueBowlerAdjustme  
Hi Casey, what you are talking about is "feel." Generally speaking its very difficult to teach feel. In bowling, proper fit is key. When a bowler has no clue as to how to deliver the ball coaches will offer guidance in delivering the ball. This is probably a rare time they will discuss how it should feel which is definitely a one on one situation.
  Personally, for bowlers who are looking for a "feel" I recommend launching the ball off the front part of the hand. This gives a feel that has more direction to it rather than just projecting the lateral circling of the ball into a spin.
  When it comes to the feel "off the front of the hand," I am referring to a forward momentum swing of the ball, that allows the hand and fingers to "start the ball up" as the thumb clears the thumbhole.
  Although many bowlers have been taught to cup the ball and keep it cupped through the release, many bowlers have found that cupping and then unloading the ball at a point just past the ankle will promote accuracy and better revolutions.
  Casey, you are not chasing something that is not fundamentally sound, it's about literally placing your hand and fingers in a "consistent" position that give you an assurance that you will hit your targets again and again.
   Often coaches will individually train a bowler into a particular style of release that the bowler is trying to achieve. If a coach can not personally train a bowler they will refer that bowler to another coach or player that is well experienced in a particular release, be it...stroker, cranker, suitcase, two handed, back-up bowler, or something in between.
   In summary Casey, feel is something the bowler has to come to know. Placing the ball into play off the hand can be done in several ways. I describe a couple in my bowling book, "True Bowler Adjustments." Whether you deliver the ball off of your finger joints, finger pads, the pad of one finger and the joint of the other is an individual preference. This comes totally under the heading "hand and eye" coordination.
   So "feel" can vary from bowler to bowler. I prefer a bowler trains with a softball, rather than a football. This way you can project the ball directly at your targets.
   Rather than have me directing you to position your hand a certain way and then telling you what you should "feel" in this forum.....it is more important that you be shown personally through individual instruction.
    Seeking an answer to this question online is not the best practice. Hiring a coach to observe and correct any misses on the lanes with you is what's needed. When your delivery becomes consistent the "feel" will creep into your game.
   I appreciate your questions and truly wish you were here in Vegas. I'm sure you would understand after a few tosses of the ball with me. Take care Casey. God's Blessings to you this holiday season. -Coach  

Bowling

Gary L. Oatis, PBA Coach and USBC Silver Level Coach, PBA Member, Pro Shop Staff Member