Bowling/new ball drilling

I purchased a brunswick wicked seige 15lb ball. I had a pro center drill it using specs off my old ball. When i bowled league bowling with it my friend pointed out the weight was on the right side of my hand when my old bowl the weight was on my left side of my hand. Did my proshop drill my new ball wrong?? it seems to hook ok but im told it should hook alot more than it does. My old ball is the taboo jet back!! my shot is outside of the second arrow medium speed with back end shot.          thanks just a little nervous that my new ball is wrong   kelly

Greetings Kelly, I cannot say the ball was drilled wrong, no one should ever say that because there are way too many factors involved that affect ball reaction. However, just by the numbers the wicked seige is designed to go longer than the Jet Black Taboo.
     Prior to purchasing any ball, the ball description will read: "the ball goes long and gives you good recovery." Or, it will read: "this ball finishes hard." They will even tell you what oil condition the ball works best on.
     I hate sounding too technical, however, the taboo has an RG factor of 2.50, the Wicked Seige's RG factor is higher. This means the Taboo will hook sooner. Also, the Taboo has a higher Diff. Number .060 - the Wicked Seige has lower a Diff. Number. This lower Diff number will allow the Wicked Seige to go longer down the lane.
    Pearl additives increase the distance of ball travel also. The Wicked Seige has pearl additives you can visually see. Not so with the Jet Black's reactive cover.
    In summary Kelly, on paper, and by the numbers, the Taboo will hook sooner than the Wicked given the same condition. This is a buyer beware item. Mainly, because you are crossing two ball companies. However, numbers don't lie as they say. It's very difficult for a ball drillers to out drill the performance nature of a bowling ball.
   If a bowling ball is designed to go longer on a given condition, it will. Compared to the Taboo, the Wicked Seige is supposed to go longer. To the point, if you drilled both at "your" strongest drilling, the seige would leave weak ten pins, while the taboo is striking hopefully.
   To directly address the "new" drilling it seems your drillers has placed the "weight" of the ball as you described it, in the "strong" position for a right hander, to the right. Which also means, if you wanted to you could make your Taboo even stronger.      
    The blessing should be, as the lanes dry out you may be able to see the Wicked Seige come alive......Or, as long as the backends are fresh, you may be able to use the Wicked Seige. Take care Kelly, God's Blessings to you. -Coach

Gary L. Oatis, PBA Coach and USBC Silver Level Coach, PBA Member, Pro Shop Staff Member

I am the author of True Bowler Adjustments bowling book. I can answer bowling adjustments questions dealing with the body, the ball, the lanes and using your eyes to read the ball reaction. I can also answer "most" drilling questions about bowling balls. I will generally answer your questions within 2 days. I am truly a "software guy" who loves the human or people part of coaching. Any questions concerning ball drilling, we want to direct to the "hardware guy," the true expert regarding ball fitting! Ball fitting is what I consider to be your first priority in bowling! Thanks in advance Warren!!! It will always be about teamwork with me! A very special "thanks in advance" for any help with drilling questions I may receive! If your question is about "How to bowl better? physically and mentally," I am here for you. Anything else will most likely be sent to the question pool for consideration by other members. I recently began my first year of ball drilling(6/1/2010). Thank you. :-)

20 years in bowling as a coach and player. Annually I coach over 250 bowlers. Author: True Bowler Adjustments Bowling Book Facebook Testimonies: Facebook contacts 5000+!/TrueBowler

PBA Member USBC Coaches Association Member USBC/PBA Media Member Bowling Writers Association of America Member

True Bowler Adjustments bowling book,Author - Copywrite 12/2008 Radio shows - "Let's Go Bowling" and "The 13th Frame Radio Show" / Jan 2010 feature article in The National Bowling Association (TNBA) Magazine pg.29, writer Dustin Markowitz - March 25, 2012-What Happened to Bowling#16 Los Angeles Senate (TNBA Online Newsletter, "Ask Coach Oatis") 1500 members Questions Answered - 300 Responses.

Gary L. Oatis,MSgt,USAF(Ret.) Associates of Science in Radiological Technology (we x-ray the cores of bowling balls as practice phantoms sometimes!) PBA Coach and USBC Silver Certified Coach Journeyman, Pro Shop Staff Member, Nadeau-Haynes Bowling Supply, Las Vegas, NV.

299's, 297's, 290's, 288, no 300's or 800's "yet!"

Charles Nibert - USBC Senior Masters Champion and Alaskian State Champion Randy Stiedl also of Alaska recently shot 800! Numberous PBA Regional Bowlers who compete across the US. Zach Hattori $64,000 scholarship winner from Las Vegas, NV. Shawn Crossley, $10,000 Amateur Bowling Tour Winner 05/2011. Haley Rubin of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, won $7,500 in scholarship funds at the prestigious North Pointe Competition helded in Las Vegas, 2010. Lareece Chambers first female to bowl a perfect game in her bowling center, Victorville, California. Most enjoyable, are my local Las Vegas bowlers. Many have won their 1st ABT or JBT tournaments with my help. I am grateful to every bowler who puts their trust in me. Helping them apply bowling knowledge to reach their goals is truly the best fun I have ever experienced in my lifetime.