Bowling/Spinner Drilling

Question
I am spinner that had a stroke two years ago. I am partially paralyzed on my left side. I used to bowl in leagues and tournaments. My average was around 230. I just started bowling again and now I average only 160. Every ball I try seems to hook to much for me now
My speed is only 13mph now. I am currently using a 13 lb urethane storm polar ice. Is there a drill patern u could recommend and a reactive bowl for me

Answer
www.TrueBowlerAdjustments.com
www.TrueBowlerAdjustme  
Welcome back to the game Rob, You obviously enjoy the sport. Since you like being a spinner, You are no doubt at the mercy of the lane condition. As you may know a spinners layout, often times does not have a great impact upon the bowling ball until it begins to hook.
     At that point, speed down the lane, is a major factor, along with the cover of the ball which has the most influence on ball reaction. In a nutshell, if whatever you are throwing now is too strong cover wise, then you have to drop down in ball performance. As much as you may not want to throw plastic, I would recommend plastic. Dull it up if you need to.
   I've been at this for more than 20 years. I love to help bowlers reach their potential. So I like to not blow smoke at them. The contact a ball makes going down lane spinning is already minimal. But when the speed is slow, the ball is going to grab real soon. Not because of the layout, but because of the slow speed. So the cover of the ball needs to change. Simply try a house ball and see how it goes. I am thinking a scout reactive ball might help but I would want you to drop a pound to 12. Just so we could increase your accuracy.
     Lastly, the game of the old days required bowlers to spin the ball with the swing to get it through the heads and into the pines or down lane to hook later. It also require a good swing and speed. Forward rolling the ball is the next best option. This will be a more direct release, that will give you a smoother read on your ball.  It will allow you to play straighter, and get further down lane. God's blessings to you Rob! Welcome back for sure. -Coach

Gary
Las Vegas, NV.

Bowling

Gary L. Oatis, PBA Coach and USBC Silver Level Coach, PBA Member, Pro Shop Staff Member