Bowling/split ball

I have a Nu-Line, Gauntlet, bowling ball and loved it.  I have always stored it in my heated garage or in the house. I went to take it out to bowl last weekend and the ball is split all the way around.  I can't seem to find out if this is common, and I can't seem to find out how to contact the manufacturer directly, so as to maybe send pictures.  Thank you for your time.  Ray

Hello Ray, Seems your question is a bit of history in itself. Nu-line was sort of an underground company which was the brain child of Mr. Steve Cooper, a Pioneer in reactive resin. The first reactive resin ball was created by him in Whittier, California in 1990-91
Some say was making them out of his garage in a couple of ball molds at a time and selling them to bowlers in the LA area. Some of the top bowlers began using them and people were amazed to see this ball go down the lane and snap back like no other ball did.
  There is a lot more to the story however, it seems Columbia bowling company absorbed Nu-line products over the course of time, then Brunswick, it was a great product, the rest is history...
  There were not many specs detailing the Gauntlet. It was released 13 years ago on March 3, 2000. It was a Reactive Solid, Symmetrical two piece, RG MIN of 2.56,and Total Differential of .061.
  In a bowling ball because of the instantaneous curing process, fissures may form through out any bowling ball. Temperature changes, winter to summer, indoors, outdoors, etc. these fissures expand and contract. For a bowling ball to last almost 13 years. You were blessed that it had not cracked sooner. ....Naturally, this ball has been discontinued.
  I would have loved to x-ray the core of the Gauntlet to see what you were working with. From most of the ball reviews listed. A bowler either loved it or hated it. My general impression was that a bowler needed to be able to generate some revs to get the Gauntlet to conduct it's business.
  In closing Ray, sorry for your loss. A good bowling ball is hard to come by. In today's market you have to match up based on a list of variables. However it can and must be done. I challenge you to work with your pro shop and make it all come together for you,...for the love of the game. - Coach  

Gary L. Oatis, PBA Coach and USBC Silver Level Coach, PBA Member, Pro Shop Staff Member

I am the author of True Bowler Adjustments bowling book. I can answer bowling adjustments questions dealing with the body, the ball, the lanes and using your eyes to read the ball reaction. I can also answer "most" drilling questions about bowling balls. I will generally answer your questions within 2 days. I am truly a "software guy" who loves the human or people part of coaching. Any questions concerning ball drilling, we want to direct to the "hardware guy," the true expert regarding ball fitting! Ball fitting is what I consider to be your first priority in bowling! Thanks in advance Warren!!! It will always be about teamwork with me! A very special "thanks in advance" for any help with drilling questions I may receive! If your question is about "How to bowl better? physically and mentally," I am here for you. Anything else will most likely be sent to the question pool for consideration by other members. I recently began my first year of ball drilling(6/1/2010). Thank you. :-)

20 years in bowling as a coach and player. Annually I coach over 250 bowlers. Author: True Bowler Adjustments Bowling Book Facebook Testimonies: Facebook contacts 5000+!/TrueBowler

PBA Member USBC Coaches Association Member USBC/PBA Media Member Bowling Writers Association of America Member

True Bowler Adjustments bowling book,Author - Copywrite 12/2008 Radio shows - "Let's Go Bowling" and "The 13th Frame Radio Show" / Jan 2010 feature article in The National Bowling Association (TNBA) Magazine pg.29, writer Dustin Markowitz - March 25, 2012-What Happened to Bowling#16 Los Angeles Senate (TNBA Online Newsletter, "Ask Coach Oatis") 1500 members Questions Answered - 300 Responses.

Gary L. Oatis,MSgt,USAF(Ret.) Associates of Science in Radiological Technology (we x-ray the cores of bowling balls as practice phantoms sometimes!) PBA Coach and USBC Silver Certified Coach Journeyman, Pro Shop Staff Member, Nadeau-Haynes Bowling Supply, Las Vegas, NV.

299's, 297's, 290's, 288, no 300's or 800's "yet!"

Charles Nibert - USBC Senior Masters Champion and Alaskian State Champion Randy Stiedl also of Alaska recently shot 800! Numberous PBA Regional Bowlers who compete across the US. Zach Hattori $64,000 scholarship winner from Las Vegas, NV. Shawn Crossley, $10,000 Amateur Bowling Tour Winner 05/2011. Haley Rubin of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, won $7,500 in scholarship funds at the prestigious North Pointe Competition helded in Las Vegas, 2010. Lareece Chambers first female to bowl a perfect game in her bowling center, Victorville, California. Most enjoyable, are my local Las Vegas bowlers. Many have won their 1st ABT or JBT tournaments with my help. I am grateful to every bowler who puts their trust in me. Helping them apply bowling knowledge to reach their goals is truly the best fun I have ever experienced in my lifetime.