Bowling/using older balls

I have re-entered a bowling league after a 20 year lay-off.  I have a Columbia 300 yellow dot, a Hammer, and just bought a Tropical Storm. The first two balls are 13+ lbs., the Storm is 12.  I am a 145 average bowler.  Can I use either of my two older balls or should I stick with my Storm?  (Not too happy with it's response).
By the way, I weigh 140 lbs. and carried a 160+ average with the yellow dot.
Thanks for your interest,

Hi Susan, the first rule in bowling is to get a proper fit. The second rule in bowling is to get the right ball for the lane condition. If you are throwing the 12 lb ball and it is not hooking for you, I would not be happy either. However, you have to ask yourself did you shoot yourself in the foot by getting a ball that only has a little flare. Also, did you break the second rule by getting a ball that would not cut through the oil. Lastly, are you throwing the ball too fast, meaning is 12 lbs just too light for you.
  I wouldn't just kick the balls to the curb yet, but if you haven't bowled for quite sometime. Get someone to watch you deliver your ball. Get a certified coach to look at your swing, delivery, and ball reaction. It is great to seek advice, but you need someone right there with you to evaluate a lot more than you can provide to me here. I do like the yellow dot though. It was smooth to the pocket when the oil was in its favor.
  In summary Susan, as not to waste your time, please seek out a certified coach. There are many things that need to be considered. Items like your speed, hand release position, body position, and foot position at delivery. God's Blessings to you. This is truly one of the first step to succeeding in the game. Welcome back lady! :-)  

Gary L. Oatis, PBA Coach and USBC Silver Level Coach, PBA Member, Pro Shop Staff Member

I am the author of True Bowler Adjustments bowling book. I can answer bowling adjustments questions dealing with the body, the ball, the lanes and using your eyes to read the ball reaction. I can also answer "most" drilling questions about bowling balls. I will generally answer your questions within 2 days. I am truly a "software guy" who loves the human or people part of coaching. Any questions concerning ball drilling, we want to direct to the "hardware guy," the true expert regarding ball fitting! Ball fitting is what I consider to be your first priority in bowling! Thanks in advance Warren!!! It will always be about teamwork with me! A very special "thanks in advance" for any help with drilling questions I may receive! If your question is about "How to bowl better? physically and mentally," I am here for you. Anything else will most likely be sent to the question pool for consideration by other members. I recently began my first year of ball drilling(6/1/2010). Thank you. :-)

20 years in bowling as a coach and player. Annually I coach over 250 bowlers. Author: True Bowler Adjustments Bowling Book Facebook Testimonies: Facebook contacts 5000+!/TrueBowler

PBA Member USBC Coaches Association Member USBC/PBA Media Member Bowling Writers Association of America Member

True Bowler Adjustments bowling book,Author - Copywrite 12/2008 Radio shows - "Let's Go Bowling" and "The 13th Frame Radio Show" / Jan 2010 feature article in The National Bowling Association (TNBA) Magazine pg.29, writer Dustin Markowitz - March 25, 2012-What Happened to Bowling#16 Los Angeles Senate (TNBA Online Newsletter, "Ask Coach Oatis") 1500 members Questions Answered - 300 Responses.

Gary L. Oatis,MSgt,USAF(Ret.) Associates of Science in Radiological Technology (we x-ray the cores of bowling balls as practice phantoms sometimes!) PBA Coach and USBC Silver Certified Coach Journeyman, Pro Shop Staff Member, Nadeau-Haynes Bowling Supply, Las Vegas, NV.

299's, 297's, 290's, 288, no 300's or 800's "yet!"

Charles Nibert - USBC Senior Masters Champion and Alaskian State Champion Randy Stiedl also of Alaska recently shot 800! Numberous PBA Regional Bowlers who compete across the US. Zach Hattori $64,000 scholarship winner from Las Vegas, NV. Shawn Crossley, $10,000 Amateur Bowling Tour Winner 05/2011. Haley Rubin of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, won $7,500 in scholarship funds at the prestigious North Pointe Competition helded in Las Vegas, 2010. Lareece Chambers first female to bowl a perfect game in her bowling center, Victorville, California. Most enjoyable, are my local Las Vegas bowlers. Many have won their 1st ABT or JBT tournaments with my help. I am grateful to every bowler who puts their trust in me. Helping them apply bowling knowledge to reach their goals is truly the best fun I have ever experienced in my lifetime.