im getting ready to breed my female. she has been bleeding  for about 10 days and is very swollen. i was told that we had to wait till the swelling is gone and no more bleeding. is this true? whats the best time to put them together?

First, you did not provide her age. Do not breed until she is two years old. Secondly, a heat cycle has five stages and can take as long as thirty days.

The female has to be in a certain stage to accept a male dog. It has nothing to do with currently bleeding or not as this can be off and on, light to heavy, just like in human women.

Read: (and educate yourself before attempting breeding: it is difficult, expensive, and dangerous)  

Jannie Balliett

I can answer any questions a Boxer owner might have concerning genetics, breeding, gestation, whelping, personality, character traits, health, needs and requirements, and family dynamics, including aggression and behavioral issues, including other pets in the household. I can help with aggression modification. PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER. I RESEARCH AND DONATE MY TIME FOR THE CAUSE OF ALL BOXERS' WELL BEING. DO NOT ASK ME IF YOU DO NOT RATE THE ANSWER. ASK ANOTHER EXPERT IF YOU DO NOT RATE. If you do not rate-- I must ban you from my expertise.

I have over ten years as a owner and breeder, early training, and behavior modification.

Organizations, Boxers Breeders Association, Boxer Rescue Austin Chapter,

Boxer owner, breeder, and trainer.