Boxers/Breeding my male

If I am going to breed my male for the second time what do I charge? I've read that I should charge a stud fee and get pick of the litter? He has already produced a litter with this female and he is papered. I want to be fair in asking for stud fee and pick of the litter but to me it seems like a lot?

Hi Nikki,

You're right, that is a lot. A responsible stud owner will charge either a stud fee or a puppy back, not both, and not pick of the litter. (The breeder puts all of their time, effort, and money into the pregnancy, whelping, and rearing the puppies; why would any reasonable person expect them to give away the best puppy in the litter?)

Meanwhile, if you haven't already, please be sure your male is screened for the health problems common in the breed, some of which result in dogs dropping dead at 2-3 years of age. There is of course a lot more to being a responsible stud owner than the stud fee.  

Jennifer Walker

I can *accurately* answer questions on breeding and genetics, including coat colors and white markings; breed-specific issues; general health and genetic disease; nutrition and raw diet; behavior and training; conformation showing; and basic obedience and agility competition.

I have owned Boxers for 14 years; I bred my first litter (which produced my first AKC Champion) in 1999; I am an Officer of my local Boxer Club and a Committee Member and Committee Chair of the American Boxer Club; I answer all e-mail inquiries from the American Boxer Club website; I moderate several Boxer-related message forums and mailing lists, administrate one of each, and actively participate on many others.

Michigan Boxer Club
American Boxer Club
American Boxer Charitable Foundation
Midwest Boxer Health Alliance (Founder)
Boxer Crazy Forum (Administrator)

My articles have appeared in:
Boxers 101 Blog
The Boxer Ring magazine
Boxer Champions - 1988-2004 (Camino Books)

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Science from Michigan State University; since graduation I have taken online seminars on canine nutrition, breeding, and health.