Boxing/Body-weight workouts

Question
Old-School boxers would never touch weights and could do sets of 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 deep kneee bends, and 50 pullups per set with no problem.

Would doing that many reps make someone strong for their bodyweight? Or would you need weights to do that? What are the benefits of doing that for boxers?

Answer
Kurt,

All these exercises using your own bodyweight are excellent. Anyone will increase strength doing these exercises. At some point you will plateau and just be maintaining what you have gained. This is because as you get stronger your muscles will need more weight to continue building. But, this is not imperative for boxers. Once you get to that point as a boxer, you have developed sufficient strength to have an advantage over your opponent.

Now if you want to take it to another level, you can start using weights for more development. Just be careful not to lift heavy weights as it usually makes you gain weight and could force you into another weight class...maybe one you don't want to be in.

Old school trainers thought weights made you lose flexibility and didn't want the fighters bulky. There was a little bit of lack of knowledge there since only certain types of lifting actually builds bulk. With lifting more mainstream these days trainers have a little more knowledge of weights and usually welcome it.

good luck.  

Boxing

Jack Rose