Boxing/age limit restrictions

Question
Hello Melanie, I am currently 34 (will turn 35 in August 2013). I have a pretty good background with sparring and training. Currently I am in the best shape of my life and have decided to put the pedal to the floor and see what could happen in the boxing world. Is my age a factor with amateur boxing? Am I too late for golden gloves? And at my age do I still have a shot going pro? (additional information: I am currently training at a boxing gym and they are pushing me to get an amateur fight, obviously I have the talent). I am getting mixed answered to the above questions online. Would love some help in the matter.
Thanks! Mike

Answer
Hi Mike - the current rule is as follows:  Elite (17‐34 years old): Athletes must be 17‐34 years old in the year of 2013 to compete in the Elite Division. This means they must be born in 1996‐1979 to be eligible. Athletes cannot turn 35 anytime during the year of 2013. However, this is more than likely to change with new rules from AIBA. Once the new rules are publicized, USA Boxing will adopt and follow.

At this point, you can box in local or non-advancing tournaments until you are 35.  AIBA may change the age to 40, but we are waiting to find out.  

if I were you, I'd try and get as many local show competitions as possible before turning pro. The more actual experience you get the better you'll be.  Boxers in the heavier weights (light heavy and above) have it easier turning pro at your age than the lighter weights. No matter what weight you're at, most pro boxers have been in the ring since they were 8 years old.  Good luck!

Boxing

Melanie Ley