Boxing/US Amateur boxingteam

I have asked this question on a few USA Boxing sites but no answer was forthcoming maybe you can answer for me,  Why has USA Amateur Boxing declined so much that the Medals especially Gold have not being flowing as freely as in bygone Years I know from talking to my own National Team Boxers that when they draw an American opponent they expect to win in years gone by this would never happen  would it be that the smaller Countries like my own, Ireland have improved to a large degree.
 I am a 58 Year old Amateur Boxing Coach in Ireland

USA Boxing has been in turmoil. The entire qualifying process for the national teams as well as the Olympic teams was/is a sham. The organization that governs boxing had people that were not qualified who were calling the shots. They have also been in quite a bit of trouble with AIBA and UOC. They were completely disbanded in 2012 under a major overhaul and almost lost their certification among an investigation from AIBA.  

Aside from the political crap. They tried to make a better mousetrap when the trap we had was already loaded with mice. The point scoring system gets changed and tweaked constantly to try and reflect international scoring with an emphasis on flurry type punching. This has influenced much of the training in the gyms to focus less on power punches and more on quantity of punches.

That coupled with the terrible qualifying process and you get teams with zero medals.

USA Boxing just needs good people at the top. Golden Gloves should be the model they use. They are all volunteers and run the best tournament in the country hands down.

Thanks and good luck with your kids!

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer