Boxing/What boxing gloves to wear?

Hi,I'm Richard and 23, I'm going back to amateur boxing, fighting at the lightweight division, I started when I was 14 and stopped around 21...

When I would train, I usually wore 14oz Reyes gloves for sparring, and 12 oz Everlast Gloves for bags and mitt work...

I was wondering what is the best equipment to use for sparring and size for my weight class? Would Winning Gloves at 16oz be beneficial to my speed and power and protection? And whats the difference between the Winning gloves and Reyes gloves?

Also, since amateur bouts use 10oz gloves, would it be better to hit the bag and mitts by training with 10oz amateur gloves? Or would regular 12oz Everlast gloves suffice? Is there a difference?

I would recommend 16 oz sparring and 14 oz for everything else. The reason you wear 16 oz is to save your hands and to preserve your sparring partners. Be good to your sparring buddies, they are your ticket to getting better.
Right before the fight I suggest training in the weight gloves that you fight in, so your timing will be on point. If your over 165 this is going to be 12 oz. Under is going to be 10 oz.

I have never heard of "winning" gloves. Reyes gloves are good gloves but they are high. I would suggest ringside band or everlast for sparring.

good luck

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer