Boxing/Face Savers

Question
Hello,

I'd like to take up boxing as a hobby and for fitness and self defense at some stage, but some previous sparring at some white collar boxing classes made me realise that I have a very sensitive nose that bleeds or gets knocked out of place. So what I'd like to know is how much of a disadvantage would using a face saver be? Also, would it be frowned upon in some gyms and maybe seen as less manly etc? I am not looking to compete as an amateur or anything like that, just join a boxing club and spar a little bit for the benefits that sparring might give me. Also, in your opinion, is the Winning FG 5000 the best face saver out there? Thanks.

Answer
Hello Paul,

We wear the face savers all the time and it's completely normal. There's never been a word uttered about  being less cool or whatever. It's a legit piece of equipment. Most boxers if not all have worn this at different times because of a soft nose, protect against preflight cuts etc etc.

The one you mentioned is one style and the most durable. It works pretty well  but uppercuts will catch the bottom and lift up the helmet. But it works fine for your purpose.
There is another one with a full metal cage that's strapped into the regular headgear. I offers full protection although the small spot welds will break over time.
Either works fine but your choice  will last much longer.

Good luck

Boxing

Jack Rose