Boxing/boxing and concussions

I am 23 years old.I want to take boxing classes .But I am afraid of injuries.What kind of injuries may I have ? what can you advise me ? shall i start or avoid because of concussions?

Yes it is possible you could have concussions. Although there is a lot of safety measures followed in the amateurs, it is always possible to be injured. It's a fight, so you have to go in knowing what the risks are.

The type of injuries that are most common in boxing are:

Black eyes
swollen or bloody nose
bloody lip
bruises on abs or ribs

less common but more serious:

broken nose or ribs
hand fractures

So just be sure you enter the sport knowing the risks and that you are comfortable with that knowledge.

Best of luck!  

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer