Boxing/parry/catching/knockdown

Question
I've noticed a difference between what my coach and what some videos I've seen say. One of my old coaches liked the idea (i forget why) of parrying, catching and knocking down a jab or cross with the same hand...catch or knockdown a jab with the left hand. Is it alright this way or should you use the other hand or what? What's your input?

Thanks.

Answer
Caleb,

Every coach has a different style they teach. More than one style will work in some cases. The most important thing is that the style their teaching you fits your natural abilities.

You should be coached around your strongest skills.

Older coaches usually teach old school styles. Parrying is old school. It can still work but most boxers will not use it. It's more suited for pro boxers.

The problem is when you knock down a punch you are taking your glove away from your face. Which is totally unnecessary to block a punch. You don't need to guide it away, you only need to deflect, block or jam a punch. It keeps your gloves in front of your face and keeps you in position to throw back without having to raise your hands.

What it boils down to is your doing a lot less work to accomplish the same thing plus your ability to score points after a block increase dramatically.

Ali and a lot of the old school boxers used parrying a lot. And as we all know, they got hit a lot too. It looks cool, but once you move into the open division you will get caught more.

Just try to mix it in with your training and use it sparingly. But use your other coaches techniques the most.

good luck

Boxing

Jack Rose