if one is a good boxer does that mean you can fight well in the street?does it translate well?Or how can one learn basic boxing skills fast?im 42

Boxing becomes very effective once you reach the "open" level.  Until then you don't have enough confidence and experience to use it In a street situation. There are certain times when it would become less useful. If two guys came together or went to the floor then it becomes a wrestling match. The key to using your boxing skills is to keep the fight vertical. A polished boxer should be able to end the fight before they ever come together and start grappling. A normal joe blow with little or no knowledge of fighting would not have much of a chance.

It's not really possible to learn boxing fast. You could learn some basic skills quick but you need ring experience for it to be truly useful.  You see guys all the time look great on the heavy bag or on the handpads but when they get in the ring you can quickly see how much ring experience they lack. If you only had to learn two punches it should be the jab and right cross ( assuming your right handed). These two punches can win a lot of fights.

Good luck

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer