Boxing/Moving weight class

Question
Hi there! Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my query.

I have a question regarding weight control and deciding which weight division to go in. I've had a few amateur fights, no losses, but I can't help but notice that a lot of my opponents are longer and taller. I'm 23, 6 ft, 178 pounds, with arms kinda short so I often bull inside, chasing them around. I don't get clipped too badly but at the same time cagey fighters always keep me at bay with long punches and step away before I can close them off. I can sit at the very limit of the light-heavy class but I struggle with weight control trying to get below it.

I've had coaches in the past (none at the moment)who have said that I'm quick enough to move down but the trend is to move up. My only concern with moving up is that I've yet to have my chin seriously tested by any of the light-heavies in my area. I enjoy boxing a lot and would hate it if I moved up prematurely and get decked due to lack of preparation. Are there some factors that could tell me which way I should go? Thanks again, looking forward to your response

Answer
Chris,

I don't know the rules in your country but in the USA the next class up is 201 which is the longest increment of all divisions. Unless you are walking around at 195 I do not recommend going up. You need to carry lean mass on the top of your chosen division and if you try to climb all the way from 178 to 201 it will be a long journey of weight lifting and dieting. Basically just too unnatural for your body.
There are three things you need to learn how to do to master these longer opponents. First you must throw first. If you allow him to throw first you will lose too many opportunities to get inside.
You must block jabs consistantly. If he does end up beating you to the punch, you must block and counter his jab to create openings.
Lastly. Be very busy with jab, it will create many opportunities.

Good luck.

Boxing

Jack Rose