Hi jack,
You might remember me, you answered some questions that really helped my daughter. anyways my daughter has a two day amateur tournament. She will most likely get a rematch with a girl that beat her on e very close fight. Most people tough my daughter won. Anyways my daughter is stronger and girl knows it last time they fouht the other girl was running but she was smart a bout it. She would wait for my daughter to come in. Then counter with a jab or one two and run. The other girl has 20 fights my daughter has 9. I think experience helped. Anyways what do you think my daughter should do? Thanks

Hello Daniel,

Definitely keep pressure on her, but she needs to come in with control. Letting your daughter be the aggressor is giving you half the fight before it even starts.

She needs to do two things when she comes in.

1. Fake and then come in right behind the fake. Don't hesitate after the fake, come in right behind it.

2. Come in behind the jab hard and fast with no fake or hesitation. But she must start throwing the jab early as she is coming in, not after she gets there. And then unload the righthand. The girl will probably move before daughter can get off a hook after the right, but it doesn't matter, if she executes she will win the fight going away.

The key is:   Mix up these two strategies when she comes in. Fake a few times and then come in with no fake behind jab. Be unpredictable.

Defensively, your daughter must keep her hands up and block anything the girl tries to get off.  Don't get fancy with defense, she needs to stay in a position that will allow her to get her punches off quick as she comes in. So hands up high and tight.

Let me know how she does. Good Luck.

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer