Boxing/lewis and tyson

Question
now rose i understand that power is not allways the guarantee for either fighter but with tyson's style that is so much with the predictability of moving forward and leading with the left followed with the right would it have been allways possible if he had stayed with kevin rooney with the same ferocity and mentality that he could have learned a plan b and plan c and learned good defence for a proper challenge against the likes of holyfield and lewis ...could it have been possible in the light that he had performed really well against the then unbeaten tony tucker ....what are your thoughts?  val

Answer
Val,

I'm not sure that Rooney had any intention of teaching Tyson a plan B. Every trainer has a different philosophy. He probably does things I would not do and vice versa. To me it's only logical.

Well as you know Tyson beat Tucker in the 80's.
Tucker carried his hands too low for Tyson. You can get away with just slipping for defense against guys who are slow or guys who have less skill but it doesn't work against a Tyson. Same for Lewis vsTucker. That's one of the reason's Tucker lost both those fights even though they both went the distance..

Tyson will always beat Tucker unless Tucker keeps his hands up and move his feet and be less predictable. He can do all that, it was just either not in the game plan or he didn't train that way. Tucker had a great jab and some good tools to work with but he had a drug problem and that effects your training and your training show in the fights.

Thanks

Boxing

Jack Rose