Boxing/rock vs tyson

people say tyson was far bigger and stronger then rocky marciano but ali once said that after many meticulous rounds of sparring with the rock he had founded that rock was far stronger and skillfull then joe farzier.having that in mind and on grounds that frazier went over 40 rounds with ali then logically enough rock may had been very game against the greatest can it also be said jack that he would have held his own with tight defence and threshing machine habit against tyson.....tyson had come forward way with an opposing left hook and murderous right hand with good switch hitting techniques which goes along well with bobbing and weaving with perfect timing but was it enough against the rock who was well known for his frightening tolerance for pain? val

Well I'm afraid the size issue is too much to overlook. Tyson and Marciano are the same height. Tyson fought at 220 and Marciano at 185. You can overcome 10 maybe 15 pounds, but 35 is too much. When you get hit by someone who outweighs you by 35 pounds, even on the arm, it knocks you off balance. And to make it worse, Marciano fought flat footed and didn't move. I don't think Marciano has much of a chance against Tyson.
Marciano would also have trouble against Ali but for a different reason. Marciano was very awkward when he had to move. He needed people to stand in front of him in order to use his power. Ali would never do that. I think Ali would jab Marciano all night long. Marciano's defense was his offense. He stayed busy and just plugged, but his head is always open.
Not many guys actually "boxed" in those days. It was more of a punchers game.
Roy Jones showed how a smaller guy can make up a lot of weight with athleticism and speed when he fought John Ruiz. The problem is that Marciano was not athletic, not much speed and bad technique....he was just a tough, hard puncher with a good chin. Which worked well in those days.

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer