QUESTION: Hello Sir, i am a 25 year old man and been doing boxing for a year i paused for 3 months - summertime i will be back soon. I have the passion to box but i am also an MBA degree student and want to build a career in business. I want keep boxing as far as I can simply i hear a lot of negatives about boxing perils like parkinson. I have no desire to be a pro simply i want to box go to the gym get in the ring spar or fight even take part in amateur tournaments . But this parkinson issue really demotivates and scares me . Are all boxers parkinson and may i get parkinson if i go on as an amateur ?  i am not afraid of other injuries thanks

ANSWER: Hello Nasibov,

You are smart to ask these questions beforehand so you will know what you are getting into. There are risks in boxing. Injuries to the brain are less common, but you need to be aware that it is possible. Some retired boxers have developed neurological issues as they have grown older although I do not know if it's been concluded their issues where a result of boxing.
You just need to understand that boxing is a sport where hitting each other in the head is the objective, and with that, comes the risk of injury and possible serious injury.
Amateur boxing is much safer than pro boxing. There are many more rules in the amateurs and they are enforced. The rules are in place to protect the boxer.
I think you are on the right track to just enjoy boxing as a hobby while you finish school. And who knows, you may develop into a national level amateur which is great fun. I have been involved in both amateurs and pros and I think the amateurs are a lot more fun.
Keep in mind, people who do not have a background in boxing usually do not have a good opinion of the sport because the only thing they see is news on the tv about boxing which much of the time is not positive. Amateur boxing is a great sport with a lot of quality people who care about the athletes.

Thank for the question and I hope I helped.

I have a boxing instructional series on youtube to help boxers improve their skills.  
Either click this link:
or type "fighters domain"  in the search box on youtube. You can subscribe if you like them.
Good Luck !!

QUESTION: Sir, thank you for your detailed information and motivation. You can not imagine how much i love boxing and all the time i end up watching old boxing fights on youtube. My idol is Tyson and the present-day favourite is Canelo Alvarez. Needless to talk about Tyson's abilities and skills yet he's already proved himself as a legend. I like Alvares as he is in my weight class ( 70 kg ) and he also has good striking skills and hard punches and thick legs which i always deem the most important part of the boxer. My stance is orthodox and i put a lot of effort in my leg workout i like to have thick legs and move forth in the ring just to decimate the opponent. This desire probably arises from my Tyson love. Let me ask you one thing. Tyson used a peekaboo stance but his defense skill set was fantastic. I want to know if i  can apply that defense system as well despite owning an orthodox stance?

I think you can incorporate the peekaboo style into any other style. But it needs to be just a small percentage of your normal style. The best time to use it is when you are inside. This is because inside punches are harder to see, so if you have your hands in the peekaboo position then you can still block anything you don't see coming.

But once you move back outside I would go back to your normal style.

Good Luck

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer