instuctions on hand wrapping for boxing

Hello, There are 2 different ways I wrap hands. One is for practice and the other is for an actual fight. I will tell you how to wrap for practice in this reply but the wrap for a fight is much more detailed. You have to use gauze, tape and you cannot do by yourself, so I am actually going to do a vid on my youtube channel and show how that's done. If you will go to youtube and type "fighters domain channel" in the search box you will get a notice after I shoot the vid.

For practice, you need to just use a regular cloth wrap with a loop on one end and velcro on the other. You will do the wrap yourself. This is for easy on and easy off and can be done in 60 seconds per hand.

Open your hand all the way out and keep it fully open until you finish the wrap. Keep in mind as your wrapping to just get the wrap snug but do not pull it tight. You do not want to cut off the circulation to your hand during your workout.

Put the loop around your thumb with the label down or if there is no label put the side down that shows the seem at the bottom of the loop.

Go around your wrist twice and then cross over the back of your hand onto the knuckles where you will go around 3 or 4 times.

Then cross over the back of your hand to the thumb where you'll go all the way round the thumb and cross over to your wrist again.

Go around the wrist once and then cross back over to your knuckles where you will wrap around your knuckles for the rest of the wrap until there is about two feet of wrap left. (Make sure your knuckles stay in the middle of the wrap each time you go around)

Now your going go back to your wrist with one loop then back to your knuckle for one loop and then back to your wrist where you will finish off the remainder of the wrap.

The wrap should go up about 2 inches onto your wrist and should completely cover your knuckles.

After your workout, be sure to roll your wraps back up just like they came when they were new. This keep them from getting wrinkled. They will take twice as long to put on if they are not rolled back up and get wrinkled.

Train hard. Good Luck.
Coach Rose  

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer