Boxing/turning pro

Question
Hello mr jackson. I am a 45 yr old that wants to turn pro in boxing. Most say i am nuts which i might be lol. I do have a history in boxing with the marine boxing team. I have never really quit boxing and sparring until recently i havent for few months because of work. Its just been a dream and maybe its to late. I know of the reprucusions and all as for as health goes. I know im not world champ material but its just a dream
.i have sparred pros and did well. I feel my speed is up to par with average good amatuer. One thing i do have is knowledge through the yrs. I just wanted your honest opinion.

Thanks Taylor

Answer
Hello Taylor,

There is nothing wrong with chasing your dreams. You only live once and when the time passes, there is no going back.

I'm going to tell you how this will go down and then you can make your decision.

As a new pro in your 40's you need to be sure you have a trainer and manager that knows what their doing. Sometimes that is the same guy when your fighting on a budget. He will help match you along with the promoter. The promoter of the event usually finds opponents and then your manager/trainer will accept of decline the fight. Because you are new and unheard of, you will be a prospective opponent for experienced young contenders looking to build their record. So your manager/trainer needs to do their homework and pick the right fights for you. That's not to say you can't handle yourself. I know when the marines used to fight in our regional every year they had a good team so I'm not underestimating you. But, with that being said, your also not looking for your first 5 or 10 bouts to be all out wars.

Your manager is responsible for negotiating the contract. Avoid getting your uncle Bob or cousin Larry to do this for you, I see this all the time with new pros. It's tempting to do because their your buddy and you want to involve them. But this is important and you need to make sure this person knows boxing and have negotiating skills.

Don't do this as a bread winner. You make very little until you hit the big venues and that could take many years.

Get a couple of small venue fights and see if you still have the fire after the fight. Then you can dive in a little more of your still digging it.

Now if I were in your shoes, I would take another route. I would take some "masters" level amateur fights and then go to the ringside world championships.  A ringside world title masters division would mean more to me than having a few pro fights.

Best of luck with your dream!  I wish you the best.

Boxing

Jack Rose