Boxing/Potential Boxing Career

Dear Jack

I have always had a love of boxing, primarily watching it. After some personal problems i began suffering from depression and I looked to boxing to help me beat it. I trained with local amateur club and sparred a few times. I didn't like that particular club so I quit. While not boxing I felt so sad not getting close to having fights.

My dream is to have a pro boxing record of something like 10-0 against opposition with losing records, like 8-20 or 5w-30 losses. This sounds uninspired but I don't want to turn pro for money or fame, I just want something to be proud of and have made my depression a helpful experience that enhanced my life.

I'm 6ft and 81kg in good shape, how many amateur fights would I need to compete at pro level facing opponents with losing records for 4 rounds. Plus how are these fights organised and would I be required to pay this fighters to fight me?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Your goal is one that many boxers have sought. There are plenty of guys that just want to accomplish the goal winning a few pro fights and not looking for fame and fortune. It's a personal thing that each person has different reasons for doing.

To make a decent run at 10 pro bouts you really need to get at least 25 amateur bouts. I mean it is possible to do it with less but there is a chance that at least one of those 10 guys is a big puncher. Even if he has no skill he could still catch you with a fight ending punch if you don't have a decent grasp on how to box before you turn pro. Mainly defensive skills. And it takes time to develop these skills. You fight a lot more often in the amateurs than you do in the pros so you can rack up fights quicker.

As far as how pro fights are organized, first you need to connect with a promoter at a boxing venue. Then he will match you accordingly. If you don't have much amateur experience he is going to match you with someone who has talent. This is why you need to get a respectable amount of amateur fights before going pro. Otherwise you will be matched with guys who have a long history of fighting and looking to use you to build their record.

You didn't mention your age but if you are in your 20's you have time. If your in your 30's then you better get rolling and make this happen before you get near 40. If your over 40 I would recommend against it. Developing even into a decent boxer takes years and if you turn pro in your 40's the industry won't take you serious.

I'm help this is helpful and gets you going in the right direction. I like to see people go after their dreams. But I want people to know the truth and what they are getting into so they make the best decision.

Good luck,

Jack Rose

I can answer any questions related to boxing and training. I can help anyone prepare for professional or amateur bouts. My trainer/boss of 30 years is in the Golden Gloves Hall of Fame and was either the trainer or special adviser to the former heavyweight champion of the world Big John Tate, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Taylor, Billy Bridges, Frankie Randall just to name a few. He was also the President of the National Golden Gloves.

I have been in the sport of boxing since 1984. I started as a boxer and advanced quickly. I was lucky enough to have some of the best sparring in the country with 3 top ten pros in my very gym. I am fortunate enough to live near one of the better boxing programs in the country. We have cultivated our facility into the largest Amateur Boxing Gym in the country. In the mid 90's I became a trainer for Golden Gloves. I train amateur and pro fighters. I have worked in many corners at USA and Golden Glove tournaments. I have worked corners in pro bouts on HBO and ESPN cards. My friend, boss and coach is the former President of Golden Gloves and I trained under his tutelage.

I am a certified Golden Gloves/USA Boxing Coach. I am also a licensed to work pro bouts in several states. I head coach of the Southern Golden Gloves National Team.

College, Pro Licenses, USA Boxing Certified, Certified Judge/Referee, Certified Fitness Trainer