Boxing Instruction/diabetic

hi my name is raul i live in New York am 18 and am a type 1 diabetic and i wanted to no if i can compete amateur boxing i use to boxing before a was diagnosed with diabetes at nine years old

Hi Raul,

I have never heard of anyone being denied the opportunity to box in the amateurs because of Type 1 diabetes. There are world class athletes in many sports who have competed and done well with Type 1 diabetes.

You should consult with their doctor and diabetes educator to make sure you can train and compete in boxing safely and manage your blood glucose well.

You must focus on tightly controlling your blood glucose, which will require frequent testing, adjustment of insulin, and careful attention to fuel intake.  

Boxing Instruction

cary williams-nunez

I can answer any and all questions about the sport of boxing as well as fitness.

Cary Williams-Nunez co-founded PRIME TIME BOXING, INC. in 1998 Cary has been featured on NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX as well as in national publications such as Shape, Energy, Fitness, Entrepreneur, Inc., FHM, USA Today and The New York Times. Cary has even graced the cover of Muscle & Fitness HERS. Cary currently contributes to SHEKNOW.COM, EHOW.COM AND LIVESTRONG.COM, was a fitness columnist for the Sacramento Bee and has been a guest on many radio shows and television news shows as a boxing and fitness expert. Cary has appeared on the popular NBC reality show, Fear Factor, for fitness segments on Better TV and recently shot boxing fitness segments for UNIVISION . Cary was recognized by The California Legislature along with Brandi Chastain and several other women in sports for her contribution and impact on girl’s sports. In the boxing world, Cary boxed competitively in the amateurs and won the Pacific Northwest Women’s Tournament before hanging up her gloves. She is a Level IV Boxing Coach and was also selected by USA Boxing to certify trainers as LEVEL I and Level II USA Boxing coaches. She has been certifying boxing coaches for USA Boxing since 2001. Cary co-created and co-hosted “Boxing 101” Boxing Camp Workout and “Additional Fundamentals”, unique boxing instructional and workout DVDs. She has been spokesperson for Everlast since 2006. Under Everlast, she has created a boxing class format for 24 Hour group fitness called Everlast ShadowBox. This class launched across the nation in spring 2008.

USA Boxing Prime Time Boxing Everlast

Certified Level IV USA Boxing Coach Certified Elite Boxing Coach

Recognized by California State Assembly for contributions to women in sports Featured in numerous national fitness magazines and on cover