Boxing Instruction/Which path should I choose?

Hi. My name is Kurt and I'm currently 17 years old. Now recently I've gotten into the whole fighting subject and its something that interests me very much. Now I don't have any kind of boxing or fighting background or experience but I want to learn and eventually go pro. Now for the past 6 months I've been bodybuilding and I've paced on an incredible amount of lean muscle mass for 6 months of lifting and I currently weigh 207 lbs and its going keep on rising so, its safe to say I'll be a heavyweight.

Now I've been doing a lot of research on boxing and mixed martial arts and I really want to get into it. My problem is that I don't know where to start and where to go to start off. A lot of guys have been fighting since they were very young and I'm just starting. So I know I have a long hard road a head of me if I want to go pro. But when I'm dedicated to something I get consumed by it and I work my ass off on whatever it is.

So with all that said, do you have any suggestions for me? I was also trying to decide if I should join the UFC or do boxing. Which one would you prefer?

Hi Kurt,
As for which path you should choose, you can only answer that question. You must have  passion for whatever you decide to do. If you decide you want to learn how to box, make sure to try out some of the boxing gyms in your area. If you are to learn the sport correctly and without having a bad experience, you should not be put into the boxing ring to spar for at least a few months. Sometimes it takes longer depending on the person.
If you are over 6 feel tall, you may be in the heavyweight division, but once you really start training in boxing, you will lose weight. So don't put yourself in a weight class just yet. Your trainer/coach will do that for you when the time is right. Also, if you want to be successful in the sport, you will definitely box in the amateurs before turning pro. Remember, it is all about gaining experience.
You have a long road ahead of you, but if you have passion for boxing, you will enjoy the trip.

Boxing Instruction

cary williams-nunez

I can answer any and all questions about the sport of boxing as well as fitness.

Cary Williams-Nunez co-founded PRIME TIME BOXING, INC. in 1998 Cary has been featured on NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX as well as in national publications such as Shape, Energy, Fitness, Entrepreneur, Inc., FHM, USA Today and The New York Times. Cary has even graced the cover of Muscle & Fitness HERS. Cary currently contributes to SHEKNOW.COM, EHOW.COM AND LIVESTRONG.COM, was a fitness columnist for the Sacramento Bee and has been a guest on many radio shows and television news shows as a boxing and fitness expert. Cary has appeared on the popular NBC reality show, Fear Factor, for fitness segments on Better TV and recently shot boxing fitness segments for UNIVISION . Cary was recognized by The California Legislature along with Brandi Chastain and several other women in sports for her contribution and impact on girl’s sports. In the boxing world, Cary boxed competitively in the amateurs and won the Pacific Northwest Women’s Tournament before hanging up her gloves. She is a Level IV Boxing Coach and was also selected by USA Boxing to certify trainers as LEVEL I and Level II USA Boxing coaches. She has been certifying boxing coaches for USA Boxing since 2001. Cary co-created and co-hosted “Boxing 101” Boxing Camp Workout and “Additional Fundamentals”, unique boxing instructional and workout DVDs. She has been spokesperson for Everlast since 2006. Under Everlast, she has created a boxing class format for 24 Hour group fitness called Everlast ShadowBox. This class launched across the nation in spring 2008.

USA Boxing Prime Time Boxing Everlast

Certified Level IV USA Boxing Coach Certified Elite Boxing Coach

Recognized by California State Assembly for contributions to women in sports Featured in numerous national fitness magazines and on cover