Boxing Instruction/Face Savers

Hello there,

I'd like to take up boxing as a hobby and for fitness and self defense at some stage, but some previous sparring at some white collar boxing classes made me realise that I have a very sensitive nose that bleeds or gets knocked out of place. So what I'd like to know is how much of a disadvantage would using a face saver be? Also, would it be frowned upon in some gyms? I am not looking to compete as an amateur or anything like that, just join a boxing club and spar a little bit for the benefits that sparring might give me. Also, in your opinion, is the Winning FG 5000 the best face saver? Thanks.

Hi Paul,
Happy to hear that you are taking up the sweet science!
Boxing is a beautiful sport and takes time to learn. Take your time before stepping into the ring to spar. If you are working with coaches that allow you to spar without you feeling confident inside the ring, change coaches/gyms. First thing you need to work on is your defense. If you really want to learn the sport and get the most out of sparring, be prepared before getting into the ring.
As for how gyms look at face savers; yes, they are frowned upon unless you are a professional boxer preparing for a big fight and have a broken nose. Besides, these headgears are cumbersome and make it hard to see. This will not allow you to learn how to get away from punches in the proper way.
The benefits of sparring are to work on the skills you have learned shadow boxing and on the punching bag. Sparring is to prepare for a fight. Sparring should never be used to "get in shape". If coaches are putting you into the ring before you are ready, you will never get the true benefits of sparring.
Hope this helps and good luck in your continued learning!

Boxing Instruction

cary williams-nunez

I can answer any and all questions about the sport of boxing as well as fitness.

Cary Williams-Nunez co-founded PRIME TIME BOXING, INC. in 1998 Cary has been featured on NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX as well as in national publications such as Shape, Energy, Fitness, Entrepreneur, Inc., FHM, USA Today and The New York Times. Cary has even graced the cover of Muscle & Fitness HERS. Cary currently contributes to SHEKNOW.COM, EHOW.COM AND LIVESTRONG.COM, was a fitness columnist for the Sacramento Bee and has been a guest on many radio shows and television news shows as a boxing and fitness expert. Cary has appeared on the popular NBC reality show, Fear Factor, for fitness segments on Better TV and recently shot boxing fitness segments for UNIVISION . Cary was recognized by The California Legislature along with Brandi Chastain and several other women in sports for her contribution and impact on girl’s sports. In the boxing world, Cary boxed competitively in the amateurs and won the Pacific Northwest Women’s Tournament before hanging up her gloves. She is a Level IV Boxing Coach and was also selected by USA Boxing to certify trainers as LEVEL I and Level II USA Boxing coaches. She has been certifying boxing coaches for USA Boxing since 2001. Cary co-created and co-hosted “Boxing 101” Boxing Camp Workout and “Additional Fundamentals”, unique boxing instructional and workout DVDs. She has been spokesperson for Everlast since 2006. Under Everlast, she has created a boxing class format for 24 Hour group fitness called Everlast ShadowBox. This class launched across the nation in spring 2008.

USA Boxing Prime Time Boxing Everlast

Certified Level IV USA Boxing Coach Certified Elite Boxing Coach

Recognized by California State Assembly for contributions to women in sports Featured in numerous national fitness magazines and on cover