Boxing Instruction/Punching

Question
Do you teach to punch with 1st 2 knuckles or last 3.
I have my guys aim with middle knuckle as punches you turn over tend to land with last 3 as opposed to 1st 2 for those you don't turn over, like vertical punch(rare), wide left hooks and uppercuts.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Answer
Hi Ken,
Great question!
I definitely teach boxers to punch with first 2 knuckles. Most have a hard time turning over their punches so I will demonstrate the turn over with my fist twisted slightly inward; beyond where it should be positioned. When teaching a novice boxer, you must over accentuate all movements in order for their body mechanics to adjust properly. When hitting the punching bag it really helps boxers stay away from injuring their knuckles since there is far more stability throughout the entire fist and arm when hitting with the first 2 knuckles. As for the hook when punching the bag, the palm should face the boxer with the thumb part of the fist facing the ceiling. This is so important! I have witnessed many wrist injuries when the hook is thrown the same way on the bag as when shadow boxing (palm facing the floor). The punching bag is unpredictable for a novice boxer since they tend to push(move) the bag around.
Hopefully this answers your question. Keep punching!

Boxing Instruction

cary williams-nunez