Brain Tumors/anaplastic astroblastoma treatment and life expectancy

Question
Dr. Nordquist, Our physically fit 20 year old niece was just diagnosed with anaplastic astroblastoma.  there are no neuro oncologists in oregon who have treated this rare brain cancer.  we are seeking expert opinions from standford, sloan-kettering. Pathology had a difficult time classifying the tumor. UCSF did as a grade 3 or 4. I have been googleling and trying to find out on my own what is the best treatment and life expectancy.  What are your opinions on treatment (proton therapy, cisplatin chemo, cyclotron?).  I have been trying to find your response you mentioned on another thread about it and can not find.  Thank you for any insight and additional information on this type of tumor/cancer.

Answer
Unfortunately so far the prognosis of this kind of tumor regardless of if grade 3 or 4 and regardless of treatment is bad. Proton beams & GammaKnife are only useful with rather small tumors (around or less than an inch in size). Standard treatment is a combination of surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy but unfortunately prognosis is still bad. I'm sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.