Brain Tumors/GBM-grIV-astrosytomas

My mom lost left vision in both eyes, diagnosed Aug 27th with a GBM-GR4 in right occipital lobe, surgical biopsy with debulking Sept 27th.  Found out yesterday the tumor is regrowing.  New course of treatment.  original treatment plan was 6wks of radiation, somewhere in between treatment changed to 4 wks, as of yesterday it is one week of radiation and steroids daily.  is she getting the full 60 gray radiation in one week and in your opinion how close is the end.  She has already showed signs of deterioration and is sleeping more than usual..Thank you

I'm sorry to hear about her condition. I doubt very much that it will be possible to give her a full dose of radiation (60 Gy = 6000 cGy/rad). That dose was based on a treatment time of 6 weeks and a weekly dose of around 1000 cGy/rad (200 cGy/rad per day 5 days per week). It is not possible to give too much radiation per day and therefore also not too much per week. So the treatment time can not be cut much with the same end dose. If you do there will be radiation damage also of healthy tissues. That she is sleeping more already now is a bad sign. So it seems her condition is rather advanced. Her remaining survival time is probably at most a few months but can be much shorter. When she sleeps all the time her end is unfortunately near. I'm sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have a long time experience of these tumours.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy, educated and trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: . I have no restrictions on the number of questions there. I also answer questions about Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer.

Doctor of medicine, specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.