Brain Tumors/long term effects - Astrocytoma & radiation

Question
hello,
my wife who is now in her mid forties had surgery around 1981 for an aggressive astrocytoma ( grade 3). Had course of x6 weeks radium treatment. The surgery and radiation appeared to be successful however whole process took x2 years before she started to recover.  Despite this early trauma in her teens she was able to bear two healthy children  who are now into their late teens.

Unfortunately however she has had major health issues over the last 20 years including seizure activity ( now mostly in remission), loss of peripheral vision, chronic fatigue with at least x3 conversion type disorder episodes ( first thought to be strokes) over the last 4 years. More recently her vision has been steadily deteriorating to the point where she now is reliant on visual aides through the Blind Institute to assist her around  home & ensure she can get around more safely in the community. We would appreciate your comments regarding the role that radiation may have played in these debilitating long term side effects.

Answer
First of all, if this indeed was a grade 3 astrocytoma (correct diagnosis is quite difficult) she has survived remarkably long! This is not impossible though extremely rare! What you describe is not unusual and mostly due to the treated tumour process itself. To evaluate to what extent radiation may play a role here I would need to know 1. The EXACT location of her treated tumour. 2. Her whole radiation therapy treatment plan including dosage schedule. 3. Her brain tumour pathology report would also be of interest. You can copy them here.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.