Brain Tumors/Do Surgery or Not

Question
Dear Dr, my father had insomnia, vertigo and forgetfulness for the past two months. MRI scan reported "Enhancing complex solid mass with necrotic areas in the left frontal lobe, crossing to the right (butterfly glioma, GBM?)" The neurosurgeon has not given us a straight answer as to whether the surgery will help my father. Could you advise if the surgery will help or it's too late now?

Best Regards,
Mirwais

Answer
The MRI scan does not look good. But to be sure what this is in order to make a sure decision a biopsy of the mass is needed. So some kind of biopsy is needed. If indeed a GBM (especially grade 4) the prognosis is unfortunately more or less hopeless. Please keep me posted!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Brain Tumors

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.